Canadian Citizens and Canadian Permanent Residents can sponsor their family members to live with them in Canada permanently. Your spouse/common law-partner might even be eligible for an open Work Permit while waiting for their Canadian Permanent Residency.

Depending on whether you apply from inside or outside of Canada, different rules apply.

If you live in the province of Quebec and want to sponsor your spouse/common law partner/conjugal partner, the financial requirements also differ.


  • Spouse/common-law and partner/conjugal partner
  • Dependent children of the sponsor and/or of the sponsored person under 19 years of age who are not married or in a common-law relationship
  • Parents and grandparents


There is an annual quota for parent/grandparent sponsorship. In 2017, 10 000 people were invited to apply. Also, sponsoring parents or grandparents requires a higher annual income than other sponsorship applications.

If you are not eligible to sponsor your parents or grandparents permanently, you should consider the Super Visa, which allows your parents or grandparents to visit you for up to two years.

If you want to sponsor your family members permanently or require more information on Super Visas for parents/grandparents, please contact us for a consultation or do our Canadian Immigration Assessment!