spouse visaA spouse visa can obtained from inside and outside of Canada.

Canadian Citizens and Canadian Permanent Residents can sponsor their family members to live with them in Canada permanently.


You can bring the following family members with you to Canada if they were processed for permanent residence as your dependents:

Your dependents can’t arrive in Canada before you. They must arrive with you or after you.

The family members that can’t come with you are:

  • your parents
  • grandparents
  • brother or sister
  • uncle or aunt
  • nephew or niece
  • other relatives

You may be able to sponsor them after you immigrate to Canada.


Your spouse/common law-partner might even be eligible for an open Work Permit while waiting for their Canadian Permanent Residency.

Depending on whether you apply from inside or outside of Canada, different rules apply.

If you live in the province of Quebec and want to sponsor your spouse/common law partner/conjugal partner, the financial requirements also differ.


There is an annual quota for parent/grandparent sponsorship. In 2017, 10 000 people were invited to apply. Also, sponsoring parents or grandparents requires a higher annual income than other sponsorship applications.

If you are not eligible to sponsor your parents or grandparents permanently, you should consider the Super Visa, which allows your parents or grandparents to visit you for up to two years.

If you want to sponsor your family members permanently or require more information on Super Visas for parents/grandparents, please contact us for a consultation or do our Canadian Immigration Assessment!