The NAFTA is a treaty between Canada, the USA and Mexico to promote trade and easier access for skilled workers. NAFTA facilitates access of Traders and Investors, Intra-company transferees and professionals working in eligible occupations.

Citizens of Mexico and the USA do not have to apply for, and be granted a positive LMIA before they are eligible to apply for a Canadian Work Permit. However, there is still a comprehensive application process that involves the applicant and their future employer. Workers approved under NAFTA will be issued a Letter of Introduction and be issued their Work Permit at the Canadian border.

Who can get a NAFTA visa?

You qualify under NAFTA if:

  • You are a citizen of the USA or Mexico
  • You have a job offer from a Canadian employer
  • You work in an eligible occupation

The government of Canada provides a comprehensive overview of NAFTA requirements and eligible occupations. It must be noted that the NAFTA only grants privileges to citizens of Canada, the USA and Mexico, not to permanent residents residing in one of these countries.

If you are a company looking to hire/transfer foreign workers or are a professional working in an eligible occupation and have secured a Canadian job offer, please contact us for a consultation today!