Canada visitor visaA Canada visitor visa is required for business or tourism trips to Canada. The Canada visitor visa is also referred to as Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).

This does not apply to people whose country of citizenship has an existing agreement with Canada.

Citizens from visa exempt countries have to apply for an eTA prior to coming to Canada.

The eTA is valid for 5 years or for the length of the validity of your passport, whatever occurs first. If you lose your passport and apply for a new one, you will have to apply for a new eTA. The same applies to TRVs.

It must be noted that TRV requirements depend on your country of citizenship, not on your country of residence.



Visitors can stay up to 6 months in Canada and can come for personal reasons or for business. However, if coming for business, keep in mind that you cannot take up any paid work. Business visitors come to Canada:

  • for international business activities
  • without directly entering the Canadian labour market

Their activities include meeting people from companies doing business with their country, observing work sites and intra-company training.

Business visitors must prove that their main source of income and their main place of business are outside Canada.


A refused visitor’s visa is not a reason to panic! There are many reasons why a Canada visitor visa gets refused. The founder of Avenue Canada was actually denied a South African visitor visa before coming to Canada, and it was not because she made a terrible mistake.

The problem was that the organization she wanted to volunteer with issued her an invitation letter that did not meet the requirements of the South African consulate. Even with that „denied“ stamp in her passport, she was still able to become a Canadian permanent resident.

Actually, there are more different reasons to get a denial stamp on your application than people know about. Here are a few of them:

  • You did not submit your documents by the deadline
  • The visa officer is not satisfied that you will return to your home country
  • You did not submit a requested document
  • Medical or criminal inadmissibility

If you require more information on your Canada visitor visa application or have doubts about your admissibility, please contact us for a consultation.


If you have already applied for Canadian Permanent Residency and want to visit Canada, the visa officer might deny you access at the Port of Entry.

Anyone coming to Canada on a temporary basis as a worker, visitor or student must satisfy the requirements of the term temporary: you have to prove that you will leave at the end of your authorized stay. And this is where the notion of Dual Intent comes into play.

It can be difficult to believe that someone who has expressed the intention to live in Canada permanently will leave at the end of their authorized temporary stay.


Let’s say you have submitted your application for Canadian Permanent Residency. You want to visit Canada to get to know the country better, for example in the context of an exploratory visit, as requested by some provincial nominee programs.

As long as you can prove you have ties to your current country of residence, such as a lease contract, a job confirmation etc., this is totally acceptable. Because you have Dual Intent to leave Canada by the end of your authorized stay AND to live in Canada permanently.


Let’s say you are married to a Canadian and have applied for permanent residency from outside of Canada. You arrive at the airport with three big suitcases and no return ticket. This is not acceptable because one can conclude that this is not a temporary stay.

Your intention is to set up your life in Canada and to wait for the outcome of your Canadian Permanent Residency while being on a Canada visitor visa. In this case, you are not considered to have Dual Intent.

As a matter of fact, you seem to have one intent, which is to become a Canadian permanent resident and to stay in Canada. And that is in contradiction to what you have to prove when applying for a Canada visitor visa.

Now we heard of cases of people who were issued a Canada visitor visa despite all of these factors.

In your own interest, we advice you to be very careful here. It may happen that visa officers use their discretion to your advantage, but the general rule is that they will deny entry if they think that you use your Canada visitor visa to „wait“ for your permanent residency inside of Canada.

If you require more information on visitor visas or have doubts about your admissibility, please contact us for a consultation.